Terms & Conditions
- Use of this website is subject to the laws of England and to these terms and conditions which do not affect your statutory rights.
- When clicking the button to accept these terms and conditions, you also consent to us storing a 'cookie' on your computer to enable us to remember your preferences.
- If you use our online credit report services or credit finding services you agree to appoint Credit Reporting Agency Limited as your attorney for the specific purposes of the exercising of your statutory rights to obtain details of all information held against you and for vetting credit applications so that we may advise you of lenders who are most likely to lend to you.
- Payments made for online credit report services are not refundable. This is because the information provided is delivered to us immediately and prepared on an individually personalised basis for you at the time of your order. The supply of such services fall within the exemption to the right to cancel as defined in clause 13(1)c of The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000.
- If you subscribe to our Credit Report Monitoring services and if you do not cancel within the 30 day free trial period, you authorise us until further notice to charge your credit or debit card or account with the renewal subscription at each appropriate interval after your initial purchase. The 30 day free trial offer is available only to new customers on a one time only basis.
When you activate a 30 day free trial, we pre-authorise your card for a nominal amount of 10p. This helps us to prevent fraudulent use of our free trial offer, helps to validate your card details, and is also one of the many elements of our online authentication process. Your bank may 'reserve' the pre-authorised amount for a short period, which may appear on online bank statements as if a payment has been made to us, but in fact no payment is made at all during the 30 day free trial period. You can ask us to request that your bank removes the pre-authorisation at any time simply by contacting us.
The initial payment is taken as a set-up fee and subsequent payments are taken in arrears. The renewal subscription may increase from time to time in which case we will inform you by email at least 14 days before the new subscription rate comes into effect.
If your card details change (e.g. if a replacement card is issued for any reason by your card issuer) and if we are able to obtain new card details from your card issuer, you authorise us to charge the replacement card at any time until you cancel your subscription.
If your subscription payment fails and if you have given us a back-up payment method (such as credit or debit card details) we shall attempt to take the missed and all future payments from your back-up payment method until you advise us otherwise or cancel your subscription.
If we remain unable to obtain payment despite our attempts to obtain payment from all available sources, your credit reports will no longer be updated and you will no longer have the benefit of Identity Theft Assistance Services until payments are restored.
You agree that we may continue to try to take payment until you cancel your subscription. You agree that we may use the telephone numbers provided by you to contact you about your payments in case of need.
You can cancel your subscription at any time simply by contacting us. You can do this by phoning us on 01872 308637 or by emailing us. Or you can cancel immediately online - just log in to your Credit Report, click on 'Secure Messaging' and 'I need help with my account', and then on 'I'd like to stop my subscription'. Whichever way you choose to cancel, we will always give you a confirmation reference number. If you do not receive a confirmation reference number, you must contact us immediately to check that your subscription has been cancelled, or payments may still be taken from your card. Following cancellation we will take no further payments and will no longer refresh your reports and also will no longer provide you with the Identity Theft Assistance Service.
Alternatively you may be able to suspend your subscription at any time online. If this option is available to you, it will be offered during the online cancellation process mentioned above. During the suspension period selected you may still view historic credit reports but you will not be able to refresh your credit report and you will no longer have the benefit of the Identity Theft Assistance Service. We will remind you that the suspension period is coming to an end approximately 14 days prior to the end of the chosen suspension period. Unless you then take the opportunity to cancel, payments will automatically resume at the amount and frequency originally chosen. You will then have access to up-to-date credit reports again and also regain the benefit of the Identity Theft Assistance Service.
- You can view your latest credit report as often as you wish. If you are a subscriber, you cannot update credit reports more frequently than once a month. This is because the credit history you see on credit reports is provided by lenders who send an update of the status of accounts reported on your credit report to the credit reference agencies not more frequently than once each month.
To get the most from your credit report subscription and to identify any signs of identity fraud as early as possible, we recommend that you log in and refresh your credit reports at monthly intervals. Whenever you log in, we shall remind you on screen when a report requires updating. If you do not refresh the credit report by clicking on the appropriate update button for more than three months, we shall automatically refresh your credit report when you sign on.
- When you accept these terms and conditions, you agree to receive emailings from us for marketing purposes. Using the relevant link which appears on all marketing emails from us, you may opt out of receiving emails at any time. We do not sell or disclose your email address to any third party.
- If you subscribe to our Credit Report Monitoring services, automatically you will be eligible to have the benefits of our Identity Theft Assistance services.
In the event that you know or suspect that you have fallen victim to identity fraud after purchasing a Credit Report Monitoring service from checkmyfile, please call us immediately on our Freephone telephone number 0800 612 0421 for assistance. A dedicated caseworker will provide expert advice and detailed information on how to restore your identity and how to tighten your personal security.
This service is not available if the occurrence of identity fraud existed prior to your purchase of Credit Report Monitoring services. For the avoidance of doubt, our Identity Theft Assistance service does not provide any form of insurance against losses or expenses that arise from identity fraud. In our experience, victims of identity fraud very rarely suffer any loss, but do require urgent and expert help to restore their identity quickly, which is the main benefit provided by our Identity Theft Assistance service.
Purchasers of one-off credit reports do not have the benefit of the Identity Theft Assistance service.
- Registration to checkmyfile.com is free. Our Free Credit Score, Credit Rating, Find A Lender, Debt Advice Centre, Check Any Postcode, Free identity Theft Check services are all free. There is no obligation to purchase any of our other services.
- We provide online credit reports on a simplified basis to make it easier for you to understand the contents. We also present data received from different credit reference agencies in the same format to make it easier to compare the data held about you at the agencies.
We provide you with the option to print your credit report. This is a further simplified version of your online credit report in password protected PDF format. If you decide to select to print your credit report, you agree to take additional precautions to store any printed version securely, to destroy it when it is no longer required, and to close the PDF document on your screen and to remove any temporary files or cached files containing the report from the computer you are using.
You acknowledge that a credit report from us, whether in online format or printable format, is not the same either in content or format as the credit report you would receive, either if you exercise your statutory rights to obtain a copy of your credit report from any credit reference agency at any time upon payment of the statutory fee of £2, or from any other online source, generally at a higher price than is available from checkmyfile. Principally this is because we show you the full history of your account information and do not limit display, as some online providers do, to one or two years only.
You authorise us to store credit reports firstly to enable us to present graphs to you to see how your credit reports are changing over time and secondly to enable us to show you in future of historic information stored about you at previous addresses that may no longer be available from the credit reference agencies. Further details about credit reports generally can be found in the Information Commissioner's publication 'Credit Explained'.
- You agree that you will not use any of the information we provide to you including credit scores as the sole basis for any decision you may make.
- Searches we make of credit reference agencies that you pay for will leave an enquiry footprint both in our records and at the credit reference agencies we search. These are for your protection so that you may see who has been searching your credit report and when.
Such enquiry footprints are not the same as those recorded by lenders when you apply for credit and do not affect either your credit score, nor your ability to get credit.
Uses of our Free Credit Score, Find A Lender, Check Any Postcode and Free Identity Theft service do not leave any search footprints or any enquiry footprints on your credit reports.
- From time to time it is not always possible to obtain your information from one or more of the credit reference agencies. This is usually because your address recorded at the credit reference agency may be indexed slightly differently from the one you have provided us. If we cannot obtain your credit report from a credit reference agency, it is highly likely that lenders using that credit reference agency will also have difficulty obtaining your credit report, as the systems we use are very similar. We will tell you if this happens and will try to resolve the problem, as unless resolved this could affect your ability to get credit.
- We purchase information about individuals, properties and neighbourhoods from other companies. We refer to these companies as 'our suppliers'.
Together with our suppliers, agents and employees, we take no responsibility for the contents of any report we provide, its completeness or its usefulness.
Other customers may provide us with feedback on postcode classifications on our Check Any Postcode search service which we publish on the website. Feedback is posted by individuals acting in their own right and does not necessarily reflect our own opinion, nor do we warrant that such feedback is accurate or reliable. If you post feedback for any postcode, you agree not to post any defamatory or libellous feedback or information that may promote commercial activity or reveal personal details of either yourself of any other person. You agree that we shall not be liable for any statement, misstatement, inaccuracy or omission of any type for any feedback submitted by any individual. We reserve the right to remove or edit any feedback posted at any time and for any reason.
- The information we provide may not be identical to that which can be obtained elsewhere. For example, we do not provide account information from Experian. To our knowledge, no company can provide more information in an online credit report than we can. To check the extent of data that we provide in an online credit report, please check the expandable details provided on our home page before you buy.
- When we compare our prices with that of other companies, we do this as a guide for your ease of reference. The content of services offered by those companies may be different from those offered by us for the reasons set out in clause 15. Other companies may often make additional charges for credit scores on subscription products.
- You agree that you will not hold us, our employees, or any of our suppliers liable for any direct or indirect damages, costs, losses or expenses of any nature resulting from the use or misuse of the information delivered by us. You agree not to hold our suppliers liable for any delay in delivery or if we fail to supply you or if we omit any information for any reason. You agree to indemnify and keep indemnified us, our employees and agents and our suppliers against any claim or action made against them for any losses damages costs or other expenses in connection with your use of our services.
- Our suppliers and we will take care to exercise reasonable skill in providing accurate information to you. The information supplied to you is provided to our suppliers and us from other companies whose accuracy we do not control or influence. We do not limit nor exclude any liability we may have to you for death or personal injury caused by negligence but in any other instance you agree that our liability to you is limited to the amount of purchases you have made over the past year.
- You agree that you will not use the information provided by us in any way that might be detrimental to us or to our suppliers.
- We take substantial steps to protect the privacy of an individual when providing information over the Internet. You acknowledge and understand that there is always a remote possibility that criminal actions may result in unauthorised access to credit reports. We take no responsibility if confidential information is unlawfully intercepted, hacked or stolen and subsequently disclosed. You agree that you will not disclose your password and user name to any one at any time. You agree that you will not distribute or make available any information supplied by us to any third party. If you become aware of any unauthorised use of our services, you agree to inform us immediately in order that steps may be taken to protect confidential information.
- We have installed security devices and follow procedures that are designed to prevent unlawful access to information. From time to time we may have to temporarily suspend access to our services to enable us to protect this information. You agree that we may terminate supply of information to you at any time and without notice and for any reason that we will not disclose or discuss.
- We depend upon our suppliers to provide information to us on demand. This means that when any of these are unable to provide information to us, we are not able to continue to provide an immediate service to you. We will always use our best efforts to supply information but we can give no assurance on the continuing availability of any or all of our services.
- We continually try to improve the services we offer and you agree that we may change the contents of credit reports or any other reports, this web site, these terms and conditions, the suppliers of information and any other aspect of our products and services without notice. If renewal subscriptions for our Credit Report Monitoring services are varied, we will advise you at least 14 days before the new rate comes into effect by email.
- We provide links to other sites on our website including those which will enable you to apply for credit. These are provided for your convenience. We have no control over the content of the linked web sites and assume no liability or responsibility for their accuracy, completeness or otherwise.
- We give information on how to fix errors found on credit reports. We can give no warranty that the information that we give is always correct in every detail. We can give no warranty that errors will be successfully removed from your credit reports, as we may not know all the facts and amendments to databases are always at the discretion of the ultimate owner, and not us.
We give general guidance on debt matters. You agree to take independent professional advice before acting on any of the remedies mentioned in our Debt Advice Centre, which you acknowledge are intended as a general guide to the options available to you.
We do not recommend, either expressly or by implication, any particular lender or credit provider. We are not a Credit Intermediary within the meaning of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (and subsequent amendments). We present to you with the facts to enable you to make a more informed decision. Those facts include the features of each credit product, whether your credit score indicates that typically you will be accepted, and how our other customers have rated each credit provider in terms of customer satisfaction.
- We provide checkmyfile credit scores free of charge both as a part of your credit report and also as a free standalone service. The method of calculation of credit scores is a commercial secret and is not disclosed.
Credit scores are derived from statistically derived credit scorecards. Every lender, landlord and employer uses a different scorecard, each of which will produce different scores, within different score ranges and which are rarely directly comparable with other credit scores.
When describing the different types of credit score we differentiate between those used by large and small lenders, landlords and employers. You acknowledge that this does not mean that the credit scores you see are exactly the same as those used by large and small lenders, landlords or employers.
The credit scores we present to you are all based on the same score range and each type of score is comparable to all other checkmyfile credit scores. When we say 'as used by lenders' or 'as used by landlords and employers', you acknowledge that this describes our assessment of your credit score using the checkmyfile scorecard, based on the data that either large or small lenders, landlords or employers are permitted to access under the law or under data sharing regulations.
We make no warranty and take no responsibility for the accuracy, relevance or otherwise of credit scores. Subject to the exclusions and limitations set out above, you agree not to hold us liable for any losses or damages you may incur either directly or indirectly from the use of credit scores supplied by us.
- In the event of any dispute between us regarding the interpretation of these terms and conditions or the rights and obligations of either of us, as an alternative to any right you may have to take legal proceedings in England, you may choose to submit the dispute either to the arbitration of two parties (one selected by you and one selected by us) or to a mutually agreed umpire in accordance with the Arbitration Act 1996 or any subsequent amendment to that law.
- In the event that you charge back a PayPal, credit card or debit card transaction for any reason, you agree that we may record details at a credit reference agency (which may or may not include us, as we are a registered credit reference agency ourselves) together with your name and address and date of birth details, so that we and other organisations who search that credit reference agency may use such information for the purposes of payment risk assessment, money laundering and fraud prevention. The sharing of information in this way helps to reduce bad debts and credit fraud.
- You acknowledge that we may be required to reveal information about you or your credit reports under compulsion of law or by a Court Order. In all other cases we shall keep your information confidential unless you agree otherwise.
- Refund policy
For the reasons given in clause 4, payments made for online credit report services, whether purchased singly or through the Credit Report Monitoring service, are not refundable.
Multi Agency Reports
If you purchase a one-off Multi Agency Report and we are unable to obtain information from one, or two of credit reference agencies, we will refund you automatically with one third of the cost for each unsuccessful search. If we are unable to obtain a successful search from all three credit reference agencies, we will refund you in full. Refunds will be made automatically, either directly to your card, directly to PayPal, or by cheque to your registered address, depending on the payment method you used when you purchased.
Credit Report Monitoring
If you purchase our Credit Report Monitoring service, we will continue to try to resolve the reasons for unsuccessful searches during your subscription period. If we are unable to obtain a successful search from any credit reference agency after our attempts to resolve, upon your application we will refund you proportionately per unsuccessful credit reference agency per quarter, or in full if we are unable to obtain a successful search from all three credit reference agencies. In addition, you may cancel your subscription at any time simply by phoning us on 01872 308637 as set out in clause 5. To keep things simple, there is no refund for any unutilised portion of any monthly or quarterly subscription period. If you have taken an annual subscription to Single Agency Reports, we will refund you £2 for each full month remaining in your subscription period up to a maximum of £12. If you have taken an annual subscription for Multi Agency Reports, we will refund you £5 for each full month remaining in your subscription period up to a maximum of £30. Once you cancel, no further credit reports will be made available to you and you will no longer have the benefit of the Identity Theft Assistance Service.
Publications and other non-personalised goods
For goods that are not prepared on a personalised basis, you have the legal right to cancel your order and return the goods you have purchased from us within seven business days of the date you receive them, as long as they remain in their original condition. This does not apply to any publication, packaged product or software product where the security seal or packaging has been removed or tampered with. Goods should be returned to us in secure packaging, with the correct level of postage affixed and must include your own name and address details to enable us to refund you. We strongly recommend that you use a recorded delivery service to ensure the goods arrive safely. We will notify you when we have received the returned goods and will refund the price you have paid within 30 days of receipt of the returned goods.
- We operate this website from our registered office at Chynoweth House, Trevissome Park, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8UN, England. In common with most websites, this website can be accessed from almost anywhere in the World. If you are not accessing the website from England or Wales, the laws that apply to your country may well differ from those of England. In accessing this website, you agree that these terms and conditions and your use of this website shall be governed in all respect by the laws of England, without regard to conflict of laws or other regulation and in particular shall not be governed by the United Nations Convention on the International Sale of Goods. You also agree to process, store and keep confidential all information as if you are subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 You further submit to exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England for all disputes, cases and controversies regarding this website, your use of this website and your relationship with us, subject only to your option to use the dispute resolution process set out in clause 27 above. We make no representation that materials on this website are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Accessing this website from territories where the content is illegal or unlawful is prohibited. If you choose to access this website from other locations then you agree that you do so entirely at your own risk and that you are responsible for compliance with local laws including any laws regarding the transmission of data exported either from England or from the country in which you reside, or from the country you are in when you access the website.
If you wish to make a complaint, please email us. Our complaints policy is that:
- We will acknowledge your complaint usually within 24 hours and always within 2 working days.
- We will deal with it confidentially.
- We aim to provide a fair response within 5 working days.
- If your complaint requires detailed investigation we will keep you advised regularly by email of the progress we have made.
- If you are unhappy with our response, you can appeal to our Joint Managing Directors for a personal review of your complaint, by writing to us at Credit Reporting Agency Limited, Chynoweth House, Trevissome Park, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8UN
- If your complaint is still not resolved after following the above steps, you are entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.