Covid 19 Status

In line with HM Government requirements to fight the spread of Covid-19 we have measures in place to ensure that we protect our staff, their families and the wider community, but also to ensure that there is minimal disruption to our customers.

Your access to online Multi Agency Credit Reports, Expert Help and Account Management remains unaffected. We take great pride in the support that we provide to our customers and throughout this period will do all we can to minimise the impact on our services. While the country remains in lockdown we will continue to support your queries via a dedicated and experienced team that will be securely working from home, and supported by a Management Team that will continue to be based at our head office and who will be able to provide customer support as required.

The security measures that we have in place to protect your Personal Data, in line with our Privacy Policy, will mean that some elements of our personalised support are affected during this period as our support team will be working with anonymised data when working remotely. Freephone access to our Credit Analysts has been removed during this period while we focus our efforts on continuing to reply to all of your emails and secure messages within one working day.

Thanks for your understanding, and we hope to have full customer support available as soon as possible and wish you well during these challenging times.

Charging Order

What is a Charging Order?

A Charging Order is a remedy after judgment which a claimant can seek from the courts against a debtor. Alternative remedies after judgment include Attachment of Earnings Orders and Garnishee Orders.

The Charging Order effectively places a sort of mortgage on your property at the direction of the court. It is a charge over the net sale proceeds, so usually has little impact until you go to sell your property, when the amount, plus interest and any costs must then be paid to the claimant. The cost incurred by the claimant to apply for the Charging Order will also be included in these costs.

It is not possible to re-mortgage or to obtain a secured loan when a Charging Order is in place. The creditor can also apply for an Order of Sale following a Charging Order, although this is rare, and most are content to wait until the debtor chooses to sell the property.

Once a Charging Order is granted, a record of this will be held at HM Land Registry for 12 years, although this can be removed at the discretion of the claimant once the order has been settled in full. The record of the Charging Order remains on your Credit Report (but only in the form of the original CCJ) for 6 years.

The Court will only grant a Charging Order if the original disputed sum has not been paid, or if an arranged instalment plan has one or more missed payments. If you are purchasing a house, your solicitor will check with HM Land Registry (or with the Registers of Scotland) to ensure that all Charging Orders have been settled before you purchase.

You can check for any CCJs lodged against you by viewing your Credit Report. checkmyfile is the UK’s most detailed Credit Report, gathering your complete information from Equifax, Experian, TransUnion, and Crediva – ensuring that no stone is left unturned.

Try checkmyfile free for 30 days, then for just £14.99 per month afterwards. You can cancel easily online at any time.

Q: Can you stop a Charging Order?

A: Before a Charging Order can be applied, you will receive an Interim Charging Order. Once this has been received, you will have 28 days to dispute this with the court and the lender involved. Following this, a hearing will take place, where the court will assess the information you have provided to determine whether the creditor can go ahead with a Charging Order.

If you can prove to the court that regular payments are already being made towards the debt, you may be able to prevent a Charging Order.

Q: How soon after a CCJ can a Charging Order be requested?

A: As of 2012, creditors can apply for a Charging Order as soon as a CCJ has been issued.

Q: Can I sell my house with a Charging Order attached?

A: You can sell your house as normal, providing the amount you receive exceeds what you need to fully settle the outstanding charge. Once the Charging Order has been settled, you will keep the amount left over.


Jargon Buster

Use the links below and the resulting list of terms on the right to locate the term you are looking for. If you can't locate it, please get in touch.